Friday, October 31, 2008

No on 48

I always wait till the last min to write these things, but its always in these last crucial hours that the best things come to me. This morning when I woke up I was surprised to find a flyer on my door encouraging me to vote yes on amendment 48. Needless to say I was all but appalled when I began reading. Upon completion I was disgusted. As a woman I believe that my right to choose what I do with my body should be decided by me, not Colorado voters. As an economist I see only negative ramifications that will come from the passing of this amendment.
The arguments that can be made from the economic perspective may seem hash, but they are ones that can be made. To touch on what we are discussing in class. I believe that this is an unjustifiable use of police power on the part of the government. It is a clear violation of the rights of women to do with their body as they please. The opposition wants us to believe that upon conception the fetus is considered to have rights. But, lets say you plant seeds in your garden, If they are trampled does that mean some one has crushed your flowers? The same idea can be seen in this situation, yes the seeds of life have been planed in the womb of a women, but with there destruction you are not technically destroying life. The only rights that are being infringed on are that of the women. She chose to engage in an act that led to her situation, and it is her choice to handle it in a way in which she sees fit. A big part of economics is efficiency. With the legalization if abortion, women who decide to not have children has a safe and clean place to go to do what needs to be done. If it is outlawed, this will not stop women from having abortions, they will turn to other methods, they can be more detrimental then the practices all ready in place. Also in tune with efficiency there is a certain point to when resources can not sustain beyond a certain point, so abortions are a measure that in since help ease the strain on already scarce resources. American culture is one of the few that does not restrict the limits on the number of children per family. The Inuit (Eskimos) practice infanticide, for the greater good of the whole group. They understand the hash reality of the scarcity of their resources. Many other nations admire American culture for its free thinking people, why then would be limit the rights of our citizens to think for themselves. At then end of the day it is baby pictures that people fawn over when reminiscing, not shots of globs of cells and fetuses.
I am personally against abortion, but again I feel it is every woman’s choice to make her own decision.

No comments: