Sunday, March 04, 2007

World Poverty

Walter E Williams is saying, actually shouting, what everyone in this country, especially our government leaders, needs to hear, and most importantly, understand: economic prosperity begins with economic freedom. I am not sure how much more proof is needed for our leaders to understand that the more economic freedom we have the more prosperous we will become. I think this is the answer to the question; if we are losing our economic freedoms, then how can we, as a nation, be so economically prosperous? Yes we are prosperous, but we could be even better. By achieving more, then we can help more people.

To me, the most important part of this commentary is the ranking that we (the U.S.) are in- 4th behind Hong Kong (China) and Singapore. It strikes me as amazing that we were founded on economic freedoms and we do not have a score of at least in the 90's. This tells me that we should be shouting from the rooftops every day that our economic freedoms can NOT be allowed to disappear anymore. I feel it so important that I will make the commitment to e-mail news organizations on a weekly basis asking them to make this a headline issue every day. Do we really care if Brittney Spears shaved her head?

Our economic freedoms are, I believe, the single most important ideals we have as Americans. We must do whatever it takes to hold on to them.

No comments: